The first non-commercial tea plant that appeared in Sri Lanka was brought down from China by the British and planted in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya.
After about two decades, the first commercial tea estate was grown in the region of Kandy which was successful after many trial and error attempts. It improved dramatically with many individuals and companies trying out different methods and machinery. As a result, in 1894 the Colombo Tea Traders Association was formed and in 1925 the Tea Research Institute was established. These bodies helped expand the production and exports of Ceylon Tea.